I wanted to share this Examination of Conscience for children. I got it from a colleague, educator and popular speaker, Barbara Falk, who teaches in a wonderful religious ed program in Manhattan called The Narnia Clubs. There are many of these available online, but I thought this one was particularly good for use with young children. God bless you!
EXAMINATION OF CONSCIENCE FOR CHILDREN
1. I AM THE LORD YOUR GOD. YOU SHALL NOT HAVE OTHER GODS BESIDE ME.
- Do I speak ( PRAY ) to God every day? : when I wake up, before meals, before going to sleep.
- As soon as I wake up, do I give ( OFFER ) Him my school work and all my day?
- Do I remember to THANK God for the good things I have done or received?
- Do I put my trust in good luck charms, palm reading and superstitions, rather than God alone?
2. YOU SHALL NOT USE GOD’S NAME IN VAIN.
- Have I used the words “God” or “Jesus” in anger or with lack of respect?
- Have I used ugly words or language?
- Have I wished evil on another?
3. REMEMBER TO KEEP GOD’S DAY HOLY.
- Do I go to Mass on Sunday unless I had a good reason ? (lack of transportation, sickness)
- Do I do all I can to make Sunday a day of rest and joy for my family?
- Do I pay attention to Mass, or do I tease or distract others by talking or playing?
- Do I arrive late at Mass or leave early?
4. HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER
- Do I respect and obey my parents?
- Have I treated them badly by word or deed?
- Am I willing to help round the house or must I be nagged a hundred times?
- Do I try to get along with my brothers and sisters? Am I a tattletale or bully?
- Do I try to give good example, especially to younger siblings?
- Do I respect others in authority: baby-sitters, old people, teachers, priests, nuns?
5. YOU SHALL NOT KILL
- Do I beat up others or hurt their bodies?
- Do I say mean things, or make fun of others to hurt their feelings?
- Am I willing to play with everyone? Have I stopped speaking to anyone?
- Do I encourage others to do bad things?
- Do I take care of my health such as eating the right food and taking care of the body God has given me?
- Are there kids I will not play with or be mean to because they look different?
6. YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY
- Do I treat my body and other people’s bodies with respect and purity?
- Do I look at television shows, movies, or pictures that are bad and hurt my soul and mind?
- Am I modest in the clothes I wear and in my speech , remembering that I truly am a daughter/son of God?
7. YOU SHALL NOT STEAL
- Have I taken things that were not mine from a store or another person?
- Have I broken or misused another person’s property on purpose?
- Do I return things that I borrow? In good condition?
8. YOU SHALL NOT LIE (YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT FALSE WITNESS AGAINST YOUR NEIGHBOR)
- Do I tell the truth? Do I say things about other people that are not true?
- Did I cheat in class or in a game?
- Do I tell lies to make myself look good?
- Do I tell lies to protect myself from being punished?
- Do I tell lies to make another person look bad or get them in trouble?
- Am I a tattletale?
9. YOU SHALL NOT COVET YOUR NEIGHBOR’S WIFE
- Do I get mad when I have to share my friends?
- Am I jealous of my siblings and do I want my parent’s attention for myself constantly?
- Am I willing to share my things and my time with others?
10. YOU SHALL NOT COVET YOUR NEIGHBOR’S GOODS
- Am I thankful to God and my parents for what they have given me?
- Do I share the things I have with my family, friends and poor people?
- Am I jealous or envious of the things others have?
- Am I jealous or envious of the abilities others have?
THE ACT OF CONTRITION
Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you. I detest all my sins
because of Your just punishments, but most of all because they offend you, my God,
who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of your grace,
to confess my sins, to do penance , and to amend my life. Amen.